Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Benched Week 63: stepping up



The concept came to me as I half-dozed on the plane to Chicago this morning.  I had taken an early flight to give myself time to sit on a bench by Cloud Gate, the famous silver “bean.”  But the radical idea that slipped into my awakening mind (a fertile time for ideas!) was this: draw something and involve strangers.

Last week, I wrote about how I wanted to find ways to improvise art, playing off the ideas of others.  This might be a way to do that.

Crazy.  Crazy enough to work, that is.

I’d need a sheet of foam core to go with my markers.  As chance would have it, there was a Dick Blick store right around the corner from my hotel.  So, trying not to get blown away, I tucked the board under my arm and walked the windy streets toward the park.



I knew I had to draw something to get people to come over.  So I started on a rendering of the sculpture.  And I had a title: Reflections.  I also had a question to pose to those who engaged me: What are you more preoccupied with – something that recently happened or something that’s about to happen?  That would decide which side of the drawing I’d put them.  And it’d give them something to think about while I sketched them.

Then I’d get them to put their thought onto the drawing in their own handwriting.



It worked wonderfully.  For a couple of hours, I had a nice stream of people pose for me.  Along the way I met:

-    a middle-aged man from India, looking forward to enjoying his reunion with his son

-    a young woman from Australia regretting how long it took her to pry herself loose from her dull job and do something big

-    another young woman, this time from Central America, who spoke no English but wrote her thoughts in Spanish

-    a man in his twenties who is struggling to find work and wrote about anticipating good things to come

-    a Hispanic teenager who remarked that I had made her look beautiful.  I told her that was because she was beautiful.  She laughed, surprised and, I think, pleased.













 As I wrapped up the drawing, a quiet college student sidled up to the table.  Nicole introduced herself as a student at a nearby art school.  When I asked, she showed me her sketchbook and we talked about engaging people with art – something she says she does often.  We chatted easily, finding a connection in our mutual love for creating.



Would I do it again?  Probably.  Or maybe it’ll be some other exploration of that line between artist and audience.  I’m just happy that for at least this Benched outing, I wasn’t just caught up in reflection.

It was the right time to step up to a challenge.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment