Monday, March 3, 2014

Benched Week 36: think glocally



The main intersection of the little town of Boalsburg, PA, was charming.  Inviting.  Beautifully ornate houses lined both sides of the main street, with a simple log cabin thrown into the mix.



And it was quiet. Unlike many of my more urban sittings, this location had little to listen to.  In the stillness, a small flag softly fluttered next to my bench. It read, “Shop Local.” Grammar aside, the message fit the spirit of the place.  It spoke to the fierce independence that permeates our culture – how we love our Davids defying corporate Goliaths.  This is small-town America, buster.  Take your beaten path elsewhere!



Just then, two women exited the tavern behind me and walked past, talking.  I caught the one woman’s story, mid-stream: “…years ago when she went to Australia, we got her a rolling duffle.  Which she lost.  So we got her one from LL Bean…”

I smiled.  Fact is, we are more connected to the globe than ever before in history.  I suppose I feel this more since I started flying around the country.  But it’s more than just being able to be physically present in far off places, it’s that technology is making the “far off” label obsolete.  In a number of events I’ve scribed, studies have been referenced showing that for the first time in history, there is a generation that is defined not by cultural boundaries but by their common online experiences – which has actually produced similar, definable demographical characteristics, regardless of the country.

Skip the millennial label. Call them the global gen.

But this connectedness is not just for them.  Sure, I am a little less adept at navigating this wireless world, but I’m thrilled that as I think about what I can do with my creativity, I’m not anchored by my location.  In fact, I have a growing desire to find away to use my art in some kind of cross-cultural endeavor.  Perhaps even through the web.  Distant caring opportunities drawn close through drawing?

Just then, my reverie was interrupted by the pealing of church bells.  It was noon.  Chimes followed, playing a hymn.  I recognized the tune, and let the lyrics come to mind, stopping at the line: “Dwellers all in time and space.”

So true.  We are creatures of our time and space.  But what a thrill to be dwelling at a time when that space becomes larger and the world becomes smaller at the same time.


No comments:

Post a Comment